Happy Octoberween! (A Contest!)

This drawing is from the beginning of book one, submitted by Gabrielle Girard (13). She said, “My picture is of breakfast in the snug Igiby cottage, the sunny morning Podo stomps in with a sack of wriggling thwaps.  Leeli is pleading with Podo not to dump them into the dark sea, and two little thwaps are spying on them from the doorway.” Great work, Gabrielle!

—————————————–

Folks, it’s one of my favorite times of the year: leaves changing and leaves crunching underfoot, firepits (like the one I’m sitting beside right now), pumpkins, soups, sweaters, and the sense that creation is getting ready for bed. Another thing I get excited about is trick-or-treating with my family. Last year I dressed up as a ridiculously obese G.K. Chesterton, while Jamie dressed as Princess Leia. This year my daughter is a farm girl (with bubba teeth) and my boys have strangely decided with their buddies to go as a gang of sugar cubes–that’s right: sugar cubes. They’re painting refrigerator boxes white and roving the neighborhood as (I’ll say it again) sugar cubes. Terrifying, I know.

Someone in Illinois told me their son was dressing up as a Fang of Dang, and (after I begged for a picture) I had this crazy idea to host a little Wingfeather contest. So if you’re the type who dresses up for a certain night of neighborly fun, then dress up as a Wingfeather creature or character, email me a picture of your costume at andrew@wingfeather.com, and I’ll choose three winners. The grand prize is a deluxe edition of my new record Light for the Lost Boy, plus a signed, original sketch by yours truly of something in the Wingfeather universe. Second and third places will receive sketches, too. That’s three drawings I’ll be doing in the near future. Unlike the last Wingfeather contest, in which it took me nearly a year to complete the drawing, I promise to get it to you in early November (this also means it won’t be a full-on drawing; rather, it will be a sketch, which is less than a work of art and more than a doodle).

Email me the picture by November 4, and I’ll announce the winners that night. Have fun and be safe!

P.S. I know you may be thinking, “Why is he drawing Wingfeather pictures instead of working on The Warden and the Wolf King?” The answer: drawing is one of the best ways I know to sink back into Aerwiar. I’ve been in music mode for most of the year, so this is one of the ways I shift gears. Never fear! Book four is soon to be underway.

10 Comments

1. Posted December 26, 2013 at 12:14 am | Permalink

I was so delighted to get your Christmas draft!! I loved reading your introduction (and discovering I’d been pronouncing Anniera wrong), and your writing is, as always, fun to read and clever. Though, upon further reflection I decided to wait till the final book comes out to read it. I think I’d rather it be at its best the first time I read it. Hang in there! <3 (Have a Merry Christmas!)

2. Posted November 5, 2012 at 6:30 pm | Permalink

Can’t wait to see the winners…

3. Posted November 1, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

Hey, folks. I goofed up the email address you need to send the pictures to. It should be andrew@wingfeathersaga.com. Thanks!

4. Posted October 31, 2012 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Oh no! We’ve tried to submit a picture to andrew@wingfeather.com, but Google is saying it was rejected by the recipient domain … ? Is there another address we can send to? We did Slarb the Fang, Leeli and Nugget. :)

5. Mrs. E
    Posted October 31, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

My 3 daughters discovered – and tore through – your Wingfeather books this fall, and loved them! They begged me to read them too, which was quite unnecessary since I was already plotting to anyway. Wonderful books – so engaging and exciting and beautiful! We’re all now anticipating Book 4, but as a grown-up and a mom, I understand the many demands on your time and the patience with which one must craft the end of a saga. So, God’s grace to you and your family as you write, and we’ll be waiting when you’re done!

6. Grace
    Posted October 29, 2012 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I wish I could enter, but I already have my costume. 5 of my friends and I are going as Lord of the Rings elves. I tried to get my little sister to go as Leeli, but apparently she would rather be a ballerina. :(

7. Posted October 24, 2012 at 10:05 pm | Permalink

My daughter is going as a meatball!

8. Maggie
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

YAY!!! I’m totally entering this contest! What an awesome way to ‘sink back into the world of Aerwiar’!
    Awesome picture Gabrielle!

9. Seth
    Posted October 24, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

So, are your boys part of the “Sugar Cube Gang”? Someone should write some books about that.

10. Posted October 23, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

YAAAAY ANDREW!!!! Way to get back into writing mode!! Can’t wait for your next story!! Me and my whole family and friends are all cheering for you! God Bless your work!